viernes, febrero 21, 2014

The Gift (and Responsibility) of Time

I was reading Matthew 25 last night, the parable of the land owner who goes out of town and gives his servants different amounts of money to look after. To one he gives $5000, to another $2000, and to the third he gives $1000. Each servant will be accountable for what he has done with his share of the money. That got me thinking, we all have different amounts of free time. And like the servants, our Master will hold us accountable to how we've used our free time. For instance, I have a lot of free time. I don't have kids, and I don't work. That means I have plenty of time to volunteer in the community, spend time encouraging other believers, learn new skills, take care of my body, pray, read good literature, help out with the annual conference my church hosts, watch friend's kids, etc. I don't know many people in this position; actually, the only others I know live on the other side of the country, so we won't be going out for coffee anytime soon (sorry, guys.) These thoughts led me into thinking about spiritual gifts (1 Cor. 12), and how we all are given different gifts for the common good. In verses 8-10, I underlined each "to one." "To one", God gives this gift, "to another", He gives this. We all have different gifts, and we all have different amounts of time available for ministry in the church. We are all called to be good stewards of what we have. This will be different for everyone; the important thing is that we are honoring God with the time He's given to us.

No hay comentarios: