lunes, marzo 31, 2014

Relationships and 1 John 4:20

In 1 John 4:20, the Apostle John, affectionately known as the Apostle of Love, asks us how we can love God if we can't even love our brothers. This tells me two very important things: First, loving God is the most important thing we can do. Second, loving our brothers is a very close second. Our relationships with other people will reflect our relationship with God. On the other side of the same coin, if we have bad relationships with others, there is little to no chance we have a right relationship with God. I don't mean just one or two people who get under our skin and push our buttons; I mean if we don't make efforts to reach out to people, and just generally don't bother to think about them. If I am easily offended by a friend, will I not also be easily offended towards God, and be angry with Him whenever my life hands me a bad apple? On a more positive note, if I look for the good in my friends and see our differences as blessings and things I can learn from, will I not also see the good things that come from the trials? Will I not focus my thoughts on the pretty flowers that come from the spring showers?

No hay comentarios: