lunes, abril 13, 2015

T.M.I.?

Concerned about a friend of mine and some choices she's made, my first impulse was to do some research on the shoes she wants to buy.  I just have a bad feeling about the shoes and her motivation to buy them.  Before doing any research, though, I asked myself, "Why?"  Why don't I just let her make her own choice?  What good would come of my saying anything, anyway?  I know her well enough to know that she would just get angry and defensive and think I wanted to take this pleasure away from her.  Giving her my unsolicited advise would only cause hurt feeling and disunity between us.  Even in more serious matters, I think the impulse to know more about something is often unproductive, and a waste of time.  Maybe we all need to ask ourselves, "Why?" more often?  Why do we need to read that snarky article about some new and disgusting trend?  Just so we can complain and be angry and worried?  Why do we need to know who so-and-so's dating?  So we can gossip?  I'm all for getting pertinent and necessary facts, but I fear that we all too often have an unhealthy desire to read and know about the gory details of things we just don't need to know about.  Far too often, I think we revel in the sad details of someone's fall from grace.  (Isn't that the entire appeal of reality shows?)  Back to my friend and her shoes, I just think the shoes cost more than she should be spending right now; but I know her and her passion for shoes.  I'll trust her to her own judgement, and hope she comes to that conclusion on her own.  We must trust God in all things, and trust in the power of prayer rather than the power of information.

Proverbs 17:5  " . . . whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished."
Proverbs 24:17  "Do not gloat when your enemy falls, when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice . . .  '

No hay comentarios: