miércoles, enero 15, 2020

Philosophical, psychological Ramblings

Long before Donny was on the scene, I wondered to myself, "If I had a child, is there anyone I
would not trust to be alone with that child?"  The answer was "Yes."  I do have a relative that I would not leave my child alone with.  Because of the way this relative treated me and other children, I would not trust them to spend any time alone with a child of mine.

That little story is something I was thinking about as I was thinking about the self-perpetuating nature of sin.  That untrustworthy and demeaning relative has a family, and I wonder how the family is.  I wonder if the grown children are also untrustworthy. 

The thing that got me thinking about sin and it's power, pull, generational and self-perpetuating nature was the book I am reading on friendships within the church.  I've had some doozies, let me tell you!  Looking back, though, I see that those friends who caused me the most hurt and confusion had been hurt themselves.  Even those who had handled their hurt well and Biblically, and had forgiven their offenders, still inadvertently hurt others because they just didn't know how to trust, and their children may (I pray they don't) have that same legacy of not knowing how to have meaningful, trusting friendships.  That would be so sad, to miss out on the great blessing that comes from a true, heartfelt communion of souls.

I plan to spend the day reading, and praying to be and to have the kinds of friend that demonstrates Christ's love and patience.  I want to be a blessing to my friends, and to look forward to the future and not let past sin affect present relationships.

No hay comentarios: