miércoles, diciembre 28, 2011

What I learned About Parenting From my Humongous, Overgrown Cactus

I am currently in the midst of a giant cactus pruning project. The cactus is huge, and the project is huge. And dangerous. And rewarding. After a bit of work today, I took some time to enjoy the fruit of my labors, and I thought to myself that my unruly and prickly cactus is not unlike an unruly and rebellious teenager. My cactus is my pride and joy, the first thing I show off to anyone who comes to visit. My cactus is also a source of puzzlement at times, and I don't know how to go about doing what needs to be done. I knew my cactus needed pruning, but I had to step back from him and get a few perspectives before proceeding any further. It took patience. After I had decided on how to best deal with the problem, and after I had put on all of my protective gear, my cactus still poked and pricked me all over. It hurt, and I had no choice but to put up with the pain if I wanted results. So I did. I am not done pruning the beast, the beast that I love with all my heart, but I suspect I will thoroughly enjoy my more tamed cactus.

No hay comentarios: