jueves, enero 19, 2012

Am I in a Horror Movie?

I was leisurely reading as I sat in the sun streaming in from the window. Mr. M had already left for work, so I was alone in the house. All of a sudden, in the middle of a paragraph, I heard a haunting and beautiful music note. Then I heard another . . . and another. I recognized the melody. It was a favorite Chinese music box that has been in the family for generations. Like the news ticker at the bottom of the TV screen, the thoughts of any and all possibilities ran through my head. A burglar? Ghosts?? A squatter hiding in the house? Aliens?? BIGFOOT???!? My (irrational) fear escalated. As I tiptoed into the room, I was ready for anything. What I saw was this: the music box had tipped over because of the weight of a pillow, and had started playing. I rearranged a few things and righted the music box. It stopped playing. I went back to my (silent) reading.

As Mr. M is out for the day, a few girlfriends of mine are coming for a movie later. I love entertaining, and I'm so glad I'm a girl. One reason is that my friends are happy to sit around and talk, so there is no pressure to be the smooth movie entertainer that is Mr. M. I have no confidence when it comes to technical gadgets, like movie projectors. I always appoint a technical adviser when I host a party so that I don't absorb all the blame. What can I say? I like to share. Even with a blame-sharer, though, it is hard not to sweat bullets when I have all eyes on me, wondering why I don't know how to use my own stuff.

4 comentarios:

Jessica's Little Women dijo...

Heh. I can't figure out any of my technology either. That's what happens when you have someone techier to rely on! Have fun with the girlfriends :0)

Pensador dijo...

Mr M needs to write you a manual for when he's away and stuff like this happens!

NEB dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.
NEB dijo...

Don't worry. It was just the cat.