martes, enero 31, 2012

Finding Yourself

I am almost done with The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, like a box of chocolates with none of the guilt. The one thing that really sealed the deal for me, the one line that made me march right up to the (virtual) counter to buy the book, was that the author states unapologetically that you don't need to go to India or drive across the country to change your life for the better. You can stay at home and sleep in your nice, soft bed while you learn to be happier.
This is something I've always found fascinating: the fact that so many people think you have to do something drastic before you can make any significant change in your life. I wasn't around for the first half of the 70s, but from what I gather from "The Wonder Years", the prevailing thought was that you have to go on a road trip to find yourself. (Apparently, that thought is still around, as documentaries such as "Into the Wild" will attest.) I love road trips, but I also love to sleep in my own bed at night. I've never been able to see any reason why I shouldn't be able to find myself while I spend my days here at home, sticking to my routine (which allows daily quiet time for prayer and reflection.) No, I find myself in my routine. As I take care of our home, I realize how grateful I am for it. As I nurture and maintain relationships, I realize how pivotal relationships are to my very being. I tinker with technology, and find that I enjoy the challenge of learning something new. And as I write this post, I learn that I enjoy making myself write even when I don't feel like it.
For now, I'm going to find myself sitting in the sun with an iced mocha . . . and tonight, when I reflect on my day, I'll be glad I wrote this.

No hay comentarios: