martes, enero 24, 2012

Reminiscing on Family and Technology.

The year was 1994. I was about to start college, so my mom deemed it necessary to trade in my faithful Smith-Corona electric typewriter for a computer. So we looked up "computer" in the yellow pages, and drove to a warehouse deep in the heart of L.A. The salesman explained to us the wonders of the mouse, and the scrolling, never-ending page. We loaded the car with our wares, and headed home. Somehow, we got the thing set up, and I started using it to write papers. Then I got married. Mr. M., technological genius that he is, didn't have a computer. He inherited mine, but I needed a new computer now, one with the ability to use this music software that I had had to buy for a different college class at a different college. That was Mr. M's first time becoming intimately familiar with computers. Now he can make a new one with the flick of his wrist. That was our first year of marriage-Mr. M at work, and me at home trying to study while laying on the floor because all of our furniture was covered in plastic while the house was being painted inside and out. That was several computers ago. Our house has been painted and repainted since, and has undergone many a remodeling. But still, here we sit, typing on our computers. Some things never change; other things never stay the same.

3 comentarios:

When a Picture Just Isn't Enough dijo...

Mr. M was computer-less when you first married him??? This might be the most shocking thing that I have ever read! I don't even know how to process my disbelief at this moment...

Audry Cece dijo...

great post! enjoyed reading:):) -Audry Cece (incourage member)

The Resident Writer dijo...

Now we have 4 computers at home, and three on the road with us. We've come a long way,Baby.