viernes, marzo 30, 2012

Vintage Jewelry and Spiritual Legacy.

This morning, I was looking through some of the jewelry handed down to me from my mom, my grandma and my great-grandma. There were notes written to me explaining what they were and to whom they had belonged. My mom was very practical and forward thinking. The notes were first addressed to my cousins, but when I made my unexpected appearance, the notes were re-addressed to me, adding that the real value lay in sentiment, and as a link to my family heritage.
Then I got on the computer and invited a good sized group of friends over for dinner and a movie. This is a family treasure passed down to me that has changed my life for the better. It is the spiritual legacy of kindness, that of opening your home to friends. My mom always taught me by example to make a special effort to include single ladies, allowing those who don't have families of their own to be part of ours. I know it is a blessing to have a home and a husband to share it with, and I don't want to keep those blessings to myself. I'm so glad my mom left me that legacy, and I hope to pass it on to the college girls I spend time with, and to the ladies who come over for movie nights, and to my nieces, for these three remain: hope, charity and love.

3 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

I need to work on leaving some kind of my own special legacy.

Laurie dijo...

I love how you're taking your heritage and moving forward to pass it on to others. You have many spiritual daughters, my dear. What a blessing your mom was to you.

The Resident Writer dijo...

Thanks, Laurie.