jueves, abril 10, 2014

Music and Mocha

Growing up in the San Fernando Valley in the 80s, a kid was defined by the music he/she listened to. There were the big hair heavy metal bands with their mostly male fan base . . . that is, until they did a power ballad showing their softer side, and then all the girls fell in love with them. Poison, Warrant, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Guns 'N Roses, and Skid Row come to mind. There weren't many women singing heavy metal, but there were some: Heart, Joan Jett, and Pat Benatar (who was operatically trained, and will always be a musical hero of mine. "Love is a Battlefield.") There were the punk kids, direct predecessors of the goth crowd, with their alternative rock, and then the polar opposite of punk kids, kids who adored the bubble gum pop of Tiffany, Belinda Carlyle, Debbie Gibson, The Bangles, The GoGos, Bananarama and the like. The majority of teenage girls who loved that style of pop were also in love with the boys in The New Kids on The Block and similar boy bands. I guess I was, by default, a fan of punk, as I was no fan of heavy metal and bubble gum pop made me want to "gag on a spoon", as we valley girls said. I listened to a lot of The Cure, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, REM. However, I always was, and still am, a sucker for a power ballad. That is why I always stop whatever I'm doing if Bon Jovi comes on the radio. I married a drummer who likes classic rock, so that's what's usually playing in the car; Journey, Chicago, Boston, Steely Dan, Queen, Supertramp (bad name, but they have some great songs!), Van Halen, Van Morrison, Aerosmith, and so many others. We are also big fans of Michael Jackson's music. He was an amazing performer and collaborator. Some of his duets and collaborations were just genius! I can't forget the hip-hop and rap artists, some of my favorites being Will Smith ("Parents Just Don't Understand") and Queen Latifah. When Mr. M and I first started dating, and throughout our engagement, I would always drive home in my big yellow minivan with the radio blaring out super-sappy love songs. That late night time slot was reserved for "Love songs . . . on the Coast" (KOST FM.) I sang my heart out with Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Belinda Carlyle and all the other bubble gum pop singers that had made me want to gag on a spoon years earlier. Music has always been, and will always be, a part of my life. It is such a good outlet for a wide range of emotions.

2 comentarios:

Diana Hayes dijo...

:) That is sweet you would drive home singing love songs :)

The Resident Writer dijo...

It was fun-but it was the other post I was talking about.