Wednesday, September 03, 2014

High Peaks and Low Valleys Vs. Mesas and Plateaus

Reading I'm Too Young to be This Old! by Poppy Smith did a couple of things for me:  first, it motivated me to publish a book (that will be another post); second, it caused me to take a closer look at my friendships.  The book is a humorous and Biblical look at mid-life and menopause.  Poppy first challenges her readers to take a risk and try something new . . . something like publishing a book, that you always wanted to do but just never took the time to do it.  Poppy then encourages her readers to spend some time thinking about their friends, and intentionally spending less time with those who bring too much stress and drama into your life.  This good advice was also given to me by a wonderful lady at my church.  With some introspection, I learned that I really value knowing where I stand in a friendship.  Friendships that resemble the jagged peaks of Mt. Whitney on a graph stress me out.  I like friendships that are a straight line.  (It isn't about how much time you spend together, it's about knowing that your friend cares for you and has your back . . . although spending time together is a huge bonus.)  This metaphor is not new for me.  I remember telling my pastor that one of the things I admired most about Mr.M was his steadiness-that he was like a straight line.  Even when we were first dating, I never had to wonder if his feelings had changed suddenly, and I liked that . . . a lot.  I appreciated that quality in my future husband, and it is a quality I look for, and appreciate, in friends.

No comments: