lunes, septiembre 29, 2014

The Great Inconsistency of Mine.

Grammar.  I call myself a grammar snob, read books about grammatical snobbery, and I cringe at the things some people say (or fail to say) in texts, tweets, and blogs.  The fact is, though, that there are quite a few words I will never know how to spell, no matter how many times I look them up.  There are days when it seems to me that the fate of civilizations hangs on the presence or absence of an Oxford comma, and there are days when it doesn't make a bit of difference to me.  I just want to be understood, man, and I want to understand others.  Don't get me wrong, I really like rules (when it comes to grammar), I just don't like it when those rules get in the way of flowing conversation between people.  As great as it is to have good grammar, it is greater still to truly connect with someone and know what they're saying regardless of their grammar skillz.

No hay comentarios: