miércoles, enero 14, 2015

Life on the Trails

I am thinking about hiking the Appalachian (or John Muir or American Discovery) Trail in the future.  I have been reading the stories of those who have backpacked the Trail, and I've learned some things . . . things like you don't just hike the trail-you backpack.  That means you carry everything-and I mean everything-you need on your back.  You may not see a town for days or even weeks.  You drink from streams.  You sleep outside or in a tent on a piece of foam.  There is no toilet.  You eat whatever is available, including cold soup if need be.  The more I read, the more I appreciate the simple comforts of life-warm meals, toilets, not having black toes and blisters or hypothermia.  I thank God for easy access to clean water.  Now, I do like to hike and be out in nature, but I just don't like it as much as other people do.  In reading about life on the trail, I find myself appreciating more and more little things I used to take for granted.

No hay comentarios: