jueves, febrero 19, 2015

No Camping For Me.

I know my limitations.  I know my strengths and my weaknesses.  I love a good schedule, a right time for everything, and I am horrible at multi-tasking and not great when unscheduled things happen.  That is the primary reason I can not safely plan any over-night outdoor adventures.  I've already faced, and barely survived, a number of over-night indoor adventures-and by adventures, I just mean going to bed and sleeping through the night.  As I read about long-distance hikers having to deal with snakes in their tents and bears in their camps at night, my mind goes back to one sleepy night when I was 9.  This night represents, for me, the epitome of my complete inability (or desire) to multi-task.  This particular balmy night in the San Fernando Valley in L.A. found me sleeping peacefully in my bright blue, metal framed twin bed.  My slumber was undisturbed until I rolled over onto the antenna of the radio that I kept by my bed.  The end of the antenna poked my eye . . . hard.  Really hard.  But I was sleeping.  I was comfy and warm, and I didn't feel like getting out of bed.  It was time for all good little girls and boys to be asleep in bed, and I was a good little girl.  I would deal with my eye in the morning.  I rolled back over and continued my sleeping.
That, in a nutshell, is why I don't go camping.  I'm afraid that if I were to be comfy in my sleeping bag inside my tent and I saw a snake or heard a bear, I might just be too tired to care about it, too apathetic to do anything.  I'm afraid I'd just roll over and deal with it in the morning.  When it's time to sleep, it's time to sleep.  That's the rule, and it goes for radio antennae, bears and snakes as well as for humans.

No hay comentarios: