viernes, febrero 13, 2015

What a Tick Can Teach Us

I found this little bug boring into my right leg last night.  Device Guy and I are in the middle of a huge time-crunch, one of those crazy busy periods where a million things are going haywire and they all need attention.  Just as we were getting ready to go to Costco to prepare for a Bible Study BBQ we are hosting this weekend, I went into the bathroom to see why it felt like there was a bruise on my leg.  That's when I saw it--boring into my skin like a determined diver.  I called Device Guy, who quickly got tweezers.  Getting this bug out was no easy thing; it took two or three tries, all of them using a lot of force.  This was one determined parasite!  Once the bug was extricated and bagged, Neosporene and Purell were applied to the site of unwelcome entrance, we determined that the best course of action would be to look at some internet pictures to determine whether or not we got the head out, and since we agreed the head was out, we decided to just keep a close eye on the sore and take careful note of anything unusual.  We had a huge Costco trip to make in preparation for the BBQ.  Life doesn't wait for anything; not even potentially serious bug bites.  The shopping trip was surreal.  All I could think about was the bite.  As I looked at the other shoppers, I wondered if any of them had just gone through a traumatic, even life-changing, event.  We lose our tempers and our patience so easily, and we don't even know what other people are going through.  I will continue to pay close attention to any changes in my health, and I will also do my best to treat others with patience and compassion, as I don't know that they haven't also just extricated a tick from their body.

4 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

That looks like a spider of some sort, not a tick...ticks are much smaller. I know this because I tweeze them off my cats ears occasionally. That's how I know it is time for another dose of Frontline. Are you taking it anywhere for someone to look at and identify? That's so weird...and I hope he didn't do any damage!

NeverAlone dijo...

I suspect by what you wrote that you are savvy to the possibility of Lyme Disease...I know someone who's been pretty badly sidelined by it. I pray that you are better soon with no lasting effects!

The Resident Writer dijo...

Thanks! Me, too!

Unknown dijo...

Blah--tick's in SCV?! I had my fill in OK!! I'm praying for no complications from your bite, Jenn-girl.