sábado, octubre 03, 2015

Don't Just Show Up!

People are different.  Crazy, I know, but it's true.  It was nearly 20 years ago when I, newly married, went to visit my friend, Elle the Younger, also newly married.  Only later did I find out unexpected visitors stopping by stress Elle out.  Apparently, she likes advance notice so she can clean the house.  I was shocked.  Flabbergasted.  Stupefied, scandalized and surprised.  I had never heard of such a thing!  I seem to recall Mr. M mentioning to me once that some people don't appreciate drop-in guests, but I didn't believe him.  Sometimes, just showing up is a bad idea.  Sometimes it is a great idea.  For instance, don't just show up at Elle's house.  But if you're ever in my neighborhood, I'd love for you to just show up at my door.  You have to know your friends.  Sometimes, the best way to show up for them is not to show up at all, and send them a text instead.  (Or write them a story where you fictionalize their name.)

No hay comentarios: