martes, octubre 08, 2019

Rock Crawling

This is the RC Truck my dad bought for me in 1995, my last Christmas as a single.  What dad buys their engaged 19-year-old daughter a RC truck?  The kind of dad who would spend a whole paycheck on a toy used for the sole purpose of scaring his daughter.  My dad had left the box open on the bottom, and the truck was on and ready to go.  He had the remote.  As soon as I lifted the brightly colored gift, he sent the truck zooming across the room.  He sure accomplished his goal of scaring me.  It isn't just my dad who isn't gifted at giving gifts in my family.  When I was 9 or 10, I wanted a Barbie, so I bought one for him as a gift, figuring he would have no use for it and give it back to me.  Well, he saw through my subtle plan and kept the doll, and even bought clothes for it!  I've never cared much about giving or receiving gifts.  Except for now.  I bought a pull-back truck for Donny a while ago, and quickly tired of picking him up to go retrieve the truck every few seconds; so I pulled out my old RC truck.  Unfortunately, 24 years is a bit too long to let a truck sit in the closet.  I'll try and revive it with new batteries, but until then, I felt justified in buying Donny two smaller and more kid-friendly RC cars.  I say I bought them for him, but I bought them to save my knees from having to constantly pick Donny up and retrieve the pull-back truck.  And who knows where this may lead?  There is a group of RC truck enthusiasts who Mr. M and I have seen doing rock crawling at Vasquez Rocks.

No hay comentarios: