miércoles, junio 05, 2013

Life's Unpredictability

When I drove through the desert to see an old friend a few weeks ago, I was telling her that I drive out that direction whenever I can to see a friend of mine who can't drive down to me due to illness. My friend reminded me that it wasn't too long ago when I was the one who could rarely leave home due to illness, and I relied on friends driving to me because I couldn't drive to them. We noted the irony and unexpectedness of it all, that now I am the (comparatively) healthy one.When I was first diagnosed with a neurological disease that I knew nothing about, I knew that I had a long road ahead of me and that I would need a strong hand to hold. I was beyond scared. I had no idea what my future might hold (I still don't), I didn't know if this was fatal or if I would be wheelchair-bound for my life, I just knew I was scared and I knew I couldn't face all the unknowns alone. I knew I needed faith, and I needed to hold on tight to God's hand through the wilderness of this life until I reached the Promised Land. (I hold His hand daily and thank Him for the blessings-the manna-that He gives me in this life, and I will continue to hold His hand tightly until I reach the eternal Promised Land with its streets of gold.) I began reading through Exodus, about all the Israelites who also had a long journey and also had to trust God to guide them through the barren desert.

I don't know anyone who's been able to predict the trajectory of their life. There is always a bend, sometimes a series of frightening hairpin turns, in the road. Thank God for His strong hand that leads us through our lives-through both the good times and the bad.

1 comentario:

Elizabeth Johnson dijo...

So thankful God is our one Constant in this ever-changing journey of life!