miércoles, julio 24, 2013

Hiking Essentials

I'm planning a 4-day hiking trek deep into the forest. I've got my tent, sleeping bag, food, and other supplies. I will have a bag of plaster mix with me. I know this will add significant weight to my pack, but imagine how foolish I would feel if I came across a bigfoot track and had no way to prove it! This idea didn't just come to me; I learned the hard way. I was on a long hike years ago, and I came across a bigfoot track. I knew immediately that I had to make a plaster cast of it. So I made my way back to the small town I had recently passed through. I went to the only store in town and asked if they had any plaster casting material. They did. It cost more than my entire hiking gear, but this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I bought the stuff and hiked back to the spot to prepare the mix. Unfortunately, by the time I was ready to pour the plaster, it had gotten dark, so my task was a difficult one. In addition, a storm had rolled in, and both the strong winds and the short rainfall had distorted the track. On top of that, other hikers and the area's resident animals had walked right over my track and messed it up. Needless to say, I didn't get a very good cast that day . . . but I did learn a valuable lesson: always carry plaster casting mix with you when you go hiking. Who knows how many perfectly good bigfoot tracks have been lost forever because of unprepared hikers? Think . . . maybe the one conclusive, perfect bigfoot footprint was seen but unable to be cast because some impetuous hiker forgot to pack his plaster mix that day.

No hay comentarios: