miércoles, enero 15, 2014

Burger Revelations

I walked to the store to do some shopping and to get a burger for lunch. This morning, as I lay sick and incapacitated, Mr. M wrote an e-mail to my neurologist for me. He explained that my previously well-controlled disease had inexplicably flared up. My doctor asked about my medication dosage. I suspect she may want me to increase the dosage. I am at first relieved to think that the answer to my problems may just mean taking a higher dose of the medicine . . . but then I get cold feet. It is just so . . . permanent. There are side effects, and the higher your dose, the higher your risk of negative side effects. Some of the side effects can be long term. I don't want to grow a third arm in five years! (That's not actually a risk. I made that one up.) In thinking through all this en route to my burger, I thought to myself that although it is good to plan ahead and think about the future, I know that the reality is that I could get run over by a bus tomorrow, so I might as well live my life to the fullest while I can.

No hay comentarios: