miércoles, junio 04, 2014

Nothing's Coming Up Roses

I sit in the shade of our patio and enjoy the refreshing summer breeze on this hot summer day. I've just had my fill of a delicious lunch, and now I let my lunch rest as I read my book. I have a bottle of water for later. The book I am reading is Dear Leader by Jang Jin-sung, the true and horrific story of the privileged young Jang growing up in North Korea's gem of Pyongyang. For him, life is grand. Then he goes on a trip to the abandoned and forgotten cities of North Korea to visit old friends. They don't share Jang's privileged lifestyle; in fact, they are dirty and starving and dying by the hour.

It's hard to believe this is happening right now, and so needlessly. The book is an excellent insight into politics and ideologies, and it is also heartbreaking and thought-provoking.

No hay comentarios: