jueves, septiembre 08, 2016

Chasing Waterfalls, or, Persnicketta Whose Parents Live in Portland.

I woke with the thrill of life running through my veins.  It was a cloudy and overcast morning, my favorite kind of morning in the whole world.  Mornings like this make me think of Portland, and Portland makes me think of Persnicketta, and Persnicketta make me think of coziness and a homy feeling,  with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.  (Persnicketta also brings to mind whipped cream and guinea hens and crabapples and musicals.)
A long conversation I had with a friendly neighbor yesterday reminded me of a lightning bolt lesson that God taught me several years ago.  I was out having coffee with someone whose friendship I was desperately trying to earn.  I so wanted this woman to like me!  I had been chasing her friendship for years, but she just showed no interest in a friendship with me.  After having coffee with this lady, I had to go to the local running store to pick up a racing bib for Persnicketta, who had literally jumped (2 feet!) at the opportunity to do this 5K with me.  The lightning bolt hit me as I was walking towards my car.  Why was I trying so hard to win the friendship of this lady who I practically had to bribe to spend time with me, when I already had great friends like Persnicketta?  I learned, in that instant, that it is more important to maintain the marriages, friendships, family relationships, and relationships with our neighbors than it is to go looking for new relationships.  It's like TLC sang in the 80s, "Don't go chasing waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to."

No hay comentarios: