martes, agosto 29, 2017

Caravan and College Memories

Reading this book about two guys from England driving across America in an old Dodge Caravan brings me back to my days of driving an old Caravan in college.  It was one of few, maybe the only, 2-seater, "sports" Caravans around.  When my grandma gave me her old Caravan as a graduation present, I soon saw the superfluousness of the 2 rear benches. I was just one person, so I didn't need all those seats.  And without them, my car became my own personal dressing room wherever I went.  I even considered putting a fainting couch back there.  All that space was also great for transporting all my hobby equipment, and anything else I wanted to transport.  As I drove to college, and had hours to kill between some of my classes, my spacious car became my own personal study room, and not having to drive home saved gas.  I also saved gas on Sundays when I drove to church in the morning, ate a peanut butter sandwich in my car for lunch, took a nap in my car, studied some, and then walked into the building for evening church.

After I got married, Mr. M and I took a road trip to Palm Springs in my car.  The back had enough space for a full sized air mattress, so we saved money  there, too.  (We could barely keep warm, but we saved money.  And it was an adventure that we still talk about.  I loved that car, but not everyone did.  Some concerned citizens were worried about my safety and welfare, and gave me another car, so I gave my Caravan to a friend.
I am enjoying taking this vicarious road trip in a Caravan.

No hay comentarios: