jueves, enero 24, 2019

Fighting for Joy

Today, I met with a couple of friends to discuss the merits of reading literature written by people who may not have a Christian worldview.  We remembered that Paul, in Acts 17, showed himself to be familiar with the poets of his day.  I left our time together determined to read something beneficial, written by a well-known and contemporary author whose advice may or may not be Biblical.  When I left our meeting, I ran into the store to get some milk before meeting another friend for lunch.  This lunch friend and I have talked years ago about the benefits of reading literature written by someone who doesn't claim to be a Christian.  It was at this lunch friend's suggestion that I read The Art of Happiness by Gretchen Rubin several years ago.  So it seemed like more than mere coincidence when this book caught my eye.  It seems like it will be about engaging with others, which was yet another reason I felt completely justified, and even very happy, about making the purchase; I had just made plans to go to the movies with my neighbor.  (We're going to see Free Solo, a documentary about a man who free climbs El Capitan.)
     I'm really looking forward to the book, and to learning from what the author says.  She does mention community on the front, and I look forward to gaining insights into how to better invest in the lives of the people God has put in my life.

No hay comentarios: