martes, febrero 05, 2019

Four Quarters are Better Than 101 Pennies

I wrote a while ago about the benefits of reading books written by people with beliefs that are completely at odds with ours.  I picked up another book about a man hiking the Appalachian Trail.  I find these hiking memoirs fascinating.  While I was out walking Renee, I traded pleasantries with a neighbor out walking his dog.  This led me to a realization:  saying "hi" to this man was similar to the hikers, who hike alone most of the time, but occasionally hike with someone they happen to meet on the trail.  Most often, they will introduce themselves and share a detailed story about who they are and why they are hiking, and then they will just as suddenly part ways.  There is no bitterness, that's just how it goes.  I want that to happen more in my life:  I want to really notice and appreciate the things and people in my life, even if they will be there just a short time.  I think this principle is a very Biblical one.  The first half of Luke 15 is all about paying attention to one thing, even if it means neglecting 99 other things for a moment.  As Christians who believe God is sovereign and nothing happens by chance, we need to slow down in our lives and take the time to love and appreciate the things in our lives each moment . . . even the things that will be gone the next moment.

No hay comentarios: