jueves, febrero 21, 2019

What the Future may Hold

     As anyone who knows me knows, books play a big part in my life, and always have.  Today, I was happy to order a new book on female friendships written by a Christian woman.  I read the intro. before I ordered the book, and I was inspired by the intro.  (That's how you know it's going to be a good book.)  I have read a lot of books on female friendships.  My friends have said-and I didn't pay them to say it-that I am a good friend, and good at investing in friendships; so that is my cue to cultivate that, and to invest more into my relationships.  (That is a principle I learned from another book, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin-to invest in the things that you are good at and that you enjoy.  That is why I have a bright green desk for my computer; I like to write and I spend a good time doing it, so I invested in making it pleasant and enjoyable.)  Back to friendships.  I invest in books on friendship because I value the friends in my life, and I want to always be learning new ways to improve those relationships.  One reason that I love learning about improving friendships is that it is so practical.  We all have so many relationships in our lives-family, neighbors, people at church, the grocery store clerk, and so many others.  We have daily opportunities to practice anything we learn about relationships.  Relationships are also Biblical.  God created us to live in relationship with others.  No matter whether the author acknowledges God or not, anyone who writes about improving our relationships is writing about something that was created by God for our benefit.  We read in the Bible that our words and behavior can be a great benefit to others, a way to encourage them and help them to grow and change and have hope.  (Our words and behavior can also be a great detriment to others.)  All that to say that if you are good at something, or are particularly interested in it, it is worth an investment of time and money to learn all you can about that particular thing.
     I've heard a lot of talk about different seasons of life.  I don't particularly like the phrase, but there is some truth in it.  I am in a different season of life than I was when I was young, and I want my knowledge and my relationships to grow and change with me.  It isn't enough for me to know only what I knew 5 years ago.  I should know more and have more experiences to share.  I can now deepen my friendships, and develop new ones, by sharing my desire to adopt and the steps Mr. M and I are taking to make that happen.  It's been an emotional roller coaster, but it allows me to relate on a deeper level with others who want to adopt or are in the process, or who have adopted.  I have learned that many of my friends were adopted themselves, or have adopted children in their families.  I've talked to people across the country who have been willing to share their stories and give me advice.  Sharing our stories is a powerful bonding agent.  Having the desire to adopt, and taking steps to make that happen has sure been frustrating at times, but it has taught me this:  everyone you see has goals and dreams, disappointments and sorrows that you know nothing about.  All humanity has that one thing in common-we all want something that may or may not be attainable.  No one knows what the future may hold.

No hay comentarios: